Lifeline Assistance Program
The Lifeline Assistance Program (LAP)* provides eligible low-income customers with assistance on their water utility bill by providing up to 9 units of water per billing cycle at no cost.
Eligibility & Requirements
- Open to MVWD residential customers
- Must be a participant in the California Alternative Rates for Energy (CARE) or Family Electric Rate Assistance (FERA) programs (through SoCal Gas Company or Southern California Edison)
- Customer name on the MVWD account must match the name on the utility statement demonstrating CARE/FERA enrollment
- Participating customers must renew and re-certify their eligibility every year on July 1st
- If a customer is no longer eligible, they must notify the MVWD within 30 days of losing their eligibility
How to Apply
- Have a copy of your utility statement showing CARE/FERA participation
- Complete the LAP Application (English) or LAP Application (Espanol)
If you have questions or need assistance applying, please call Customer Service at 909-624-0035.
Applications may take up to 30 days for review.
*Customer participation in LAP is on a “first come, first serve” basis. Program funding is limited and not guaranteed, but is based on the fiscal year (July 1 through June 30.) Income guidelines are set each year by the California Public Utility Commission’s CARE Program and are available below as well as on the CPUC’s website.
Eligible customers are those whose total household income is at or below the income limits indicated below. Income limits are effective through May 31, 2022.
|Household Size||Income Eligibility Upper Limit|
|Each additional person||$9,080|
Information from the California Public Utility Commission’s website:
Families whose household income slightly exceeds the CARE allowances may qualify to receive FERA discounts. Following are the income limits effective through May 31, 2022.
|Household||200% of Federal Poverty Guidelines (CARE/ESAP) +1||250% of Federal Poverty Guidelines (FERA)|
|Each additional person||$9,080||$11,350|