Turf Removal Rebate
Get up to $17,500 back on your landscape project!
Monte Vista Water District, in partnership with Metropolitan Water District and Inland Empire Utilities Agency, offers a turf removal rebate for customers who ditch their thirsty lawn for water efficient landscaping. Residential customers are eligible for a rebate of $3.50 per sq. ft. and business customers are eligible for a rebate of $3 per sq. ft.
- Turf removed must be a minimum of 250 sq. ft. or a maximum of 5,000 sq. ft.
- Must install 3 plants per 100 sq. ft.
- Must include a rain capturing feature
- No bare soil or synthetic grass allowed
- Only permeable hardscape is allowed
Converting your landscape can be a challenge but MVWD is here to help! Follow these simple steps to take advantage of local resources and make the process easier:
1) Do not remove your grass!
2) Set up your online account with SoCal Water Smart and upload photos of your lawn. You must receive an email approval before starting your project.
3) Attend the free Landscape Transformation Basics workshop at the Waterwise Community Center. This workshop details what you will need to do for a beautiful garden transformation and successful rebate application.
4) Take advantage of the Landscape Design Program offered by the Waterwise Community Center. This program focuses on designing drought tolerant landscapes. You can have a one-on-one session with a professional landscape designer and receive a graphic rendering of your new landscape. A $100 fully refundable deposit is required and will be returned if your project is completed within 6 months.
5) Start your project! You have 180 days to complete.
6) Log back in to your account with SoCal WaterSmart and finish your rebate application. Photos of the completed project are required.
7) Wait for your rebate check to arrive in the mail. If you met all the qualifications, you should receive your rebate check in 8-10 weeks. (Please keep in mind that rebates exceeding $600 are reportable when filing income taxes.)