Enterprise Systems List
As part of the amended California Public Records Act and an added level of transparency, local agencies must make available on their website an annually updated list of enterprise systems.
What is an enterprise system?
An enterprise system is a software application or computer system that collects, stores, exchanges, and analyzes information that the agency uses that is both of the following:
- A multi-departmental system or a system that contains information collected about the public.
- A system that serves as an original source of data within an agency.
An enterprise system does not include any of the following:
- Information Technology (IT) security systems, including firewalls and other cybersecurity systems.
- Physical access control systems, employee identification management systems, video monitoring, and other physical control systems.
- Infrastructure and mechanical control systems, including those that control or manage street lights, electrical, natural gas, water, or sewer functions.
- Systems related to 911 dispatch and operation or emergency services.
- Systems that would be restricted from disclosure by Section 6254.19.
- The specific records that the information technology system collects, stores, exchanges, or analyzes.
What must each agency make available on their website regarding enterprise systems?
1. Create a catalog of enterprise systems, containing:
- Current system vendor
- Current system product
- System's purpose
- A description of categories or types of data
- The department that is the prime custodian of the data
- The frequency that system data is collected
- The frequency that system data is updated
2. To make the catalog publicly available upon request
3. To post the catalog in a prominent location on the agency's website
Are there any exceptions?
Yes, if the public interest served by not disclosing the information described clearly outweighs the public interest served by disclosure, the local agency may instead provide a system name, brief title or identifier of the system.